Frequently asked Questions

Do you add fluoride to my drinking water?
Yes.  The KY State Health Department requires the addition of fluoride to public drinking water supplies.  A daily diet that includes small amounts of fluoride has been credited with reducing the number of cavities in children and young adults.

Sometimes my water has a milky color to it. Why?
That milky color is really air bubbles. Sometimes there is an extreme difference between the outside temperature and the inside temperature. When this occurs, air bubbles can form in the water.  When that cold water is brought into a warm home, oxygen gas is released into the water as tiny bubbles.  If you watch for a few seconds, the air bubbles will rise and the water will become clear again.

When I fill up my swimming pool can I get an adjustment on my bill?
McCreary County Water District does not offer adjustments on your water bill for filling swimming pools.  However, we do offer an adjustment (once per year) on your sewer bill for filling a swimming pool.  Contact the water district office for more details about this sewer bill adjustment.
Note:  It’s helpful, in calculating your bill adjustment, if you record the water meter reading before and after filling your pool.


Where does the drinking water in McCreary County come from?
McCreary County Water District treats water from two sources:  The Laurel Creek Reservoir and The Big South Fork River.  Although the water district uses state-of-the-art treatment technologies in its treatment process, we still believe that Protecting Our Source Water is vital to ensuring the health and safety of every person in McCreary County.

When I come to the water district office to apply for service, do I need to bring anything with me?
Yes.  If you’re just having service switched into your name, you’ll need your driver’s license, state photo I.D., military I.D., or an equivalent photo I.D. with you.
If you’re setting up brand new service at a location, you’ll need your driver’s license, state photo I.D., military I.D., or an equivalent photo I.D. and a plumbing permit.
*For a list of fees associated with water and sewer services, please read our section on “Rules and Rates”.

What do I do if my water bill is higher than usual?

  • Check your meter reading and determine if your meter is turning.
  • If you suspect a leak, you can isolate most of your plumbing by using your existing cut off valve (most homes have them).
  • Determine if the problem is inside or outside your home first.  Close the cut off valve where it enters your home.  If the meter continues turning (after you’ve closed the valve), it is reasonable to assume the leak is between the home and the meter.
  • If you determine that the leak is inside your home, start by isolating each toilet and faucet valve.  Check the meter each time a valve is closed until the source of the leak is found.
  • If you still haven’t isolated the leak, check these other possible sources of leaks.
  • If all else fails, call a plumber.